Our Upcoming Events
FY 2016/2017 Applications
The City of Oakland Cultural Funding Program funds Oakland-based art and cultural activities that reflect the diversity of the City for citizens of and visitors to Oakland.
- All applicants must be Oakland-based, and all proposed activities must take place in Oakland.
- Funds will support activities occurring between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017.
- The Cultural Funding Program relies on a competitive panel process to determine award recipients and funding allocation.
- Grant recommendations must be approved by the Funding Advisory Committee and Oakland City Council before grants can be awarded.
Applications for FY 2016/2017 funding were due May 16, 2016. Applications in the following grant categories were accepted:
- Individual Artist Project
- Art in the Schools
- Organization Project
- Organization Assistance (by invitation only)
Application & Review Process
- Guidelines and application materials are distributed to artists, arts organizations, and other interested parties.
- Applicant workshops are conducted.
- Organizations and individual artists submit applications by deadline.
- Staff reviews applications for completeness and eligibility, forwarding complete and eligible applications to panelists.
- A panel orientation is conducted to answer any questions panelists may have, and to provide a framework for how applicants are reviewed and how panel meetings are facilitated. Applications are distributed to the appropriate review panels.
- Panels convene in open meetings to discuss and evaluate applications, and determine a score for each application.
- The Funding Advisory Committee meets to review panel recommendations, hear applicant appeals (if any), and allocate funds based on applicant score and rank and available grant funding.
- Staff presents panel and Funding Advisory Committee recommendations to the Life Enrichment Committee of Oakland City Council.
- City Council reviews and takes action on the funding recommendations.