Our Upcoming Events
FY 2014/2015 Applications
Online guidelines and application forms are available here.
The City of Oakland Cultural Funding Program funds Oakland-based art and cultural activities that reflect the diversity of the City for citizens of and visitors to Oakland.
- All applicants must be Oakland-based, and all proposed activities must take place in Oakland.
- Funds support activities occurring between July 1, 2014 and June 30, 2015.
- The Cultural Funding Program relies on a competitive panel process to determine award recipients and funding allocation.
- Grant recommendations must be approved by the Funding Advisory Committee and Oakland City Council before grants can be awarded.
Applications for FY 2014/15 funding are due on June 16, 2014. To review the guidelines and apply online, click here. Applications will be accepted for the following grant categories:
- Individual Artist Project
- Art in the Schools
- Organization Project
Free applicant workshops for all three open grant categories will be offered from May 21 through June 10 in Oakland City Hall, Hearing Room 2. For a complete list of workshops, click here. All grantseekers are strongly encouraged to attend a workshop in the appropriate category before applying! Advance registration is required.
California Cultural Data Project
All 501 (c) 3 organizations that apply to the Cultural Funding Program in 2013-2014 in the category of Organization Project Support must enter a data profile onto the Cultural Data Project to be eligible for funding. Training sessions are available to new users on first Wednesdays of the month at www.caculturaldata.org.
Application & Review Process
- Guidelines and application materials are distributed to artists, arts organizations, and other interested parties.
- Applicant workshops are conducted.
- Organizations and individual artists submit applications by deadline.
- Staff reviews applications for completeness and eligibility, forwarding complete and eligible applications to panelists.
- A panel orientation is conducted to answer any questions panelists may have, and to provide a framework for how applicants are reviewed and how panel meetings are facilitated. Applications are distributed to the appropriate review panels.
- Organizational Assistance panelists conduct applicant site visits. (Note: Organizational Assistance grant category review process takes place every two years.)
- Panels convene in open meetings to discuss and evaluate applications, and determine a score for each application.
- The Funding Advisory Committee meets to review panel recommendations, hear applicant appeals (if any), and allocate funds based on applicant score and rank and available grant funding.
- Staff presents panel and Funding Advisory Committee recommendations to the Life Enrichment Committee of Oakland City Council.
- City Council reviews and takes action on the funding recommendations.