Our Upcoming Events
The Key to Oakland's Future
To set priorities, we're taking a strategic look at the big picture. We're soliciting input from the community and asking: What do we want the character of Oakland to be? What kinds of business and development projects do we want, and where should they be located? As our strategy becomes clearer, we’ll determine what we need to do to bring that strategy to life.
We urge you to get involved! Check for meetings on the events calendar in the lower left of this page.
Our immediate priorities for economic growth
- Support city-wide retail development through strong business improvement districts, merchant associations and retailer recruitment
- Focus on key Traded Sectors: Clean Tech, Food and Beverage, International Trade & Logistics, Creative Arts and Media & Tech industries
- Collaborate with the Port of Oakland to develop the Oakland Global Trade & Logistics Center, a modern logistics and warehouse complex, creating significant jobs and business opportunities
- Leverage the success of our nationally respected hospitals and health care providers
- Identify land and build the infrastructure to attract larger-scale tech and life sciences facilities
- Build a more positive relationship with our sports teams to bring people, dollars and excitement to our city
- Support the economic development activities of five Specific Plans
- Support the growth of existing businesses
To learn more about Oakland's business profile and market, click here.
Economic Indicators Report
This economic indicators report, produced quarterly, is a mechanism for tracking the City of Oakland's economic performance. A variety of parameters have been carefully selected in order to provide the reader with a year-on-year or quarter-on-quarter overview. Parameters include: sales tax, property transfers, sector performance, unemployment, vacancy rates etc.
The April 2013 report is available in pdf format here
Highlights for April 2013 include:
• Industrial Vacancies at an all time low - 4.6%
• The Unemployment rate fell dramatically from 13.7% in January 2013 TO 11.8% in March
• There was a 7.6% total increase in Sales Tax from Calendar Year 2011 to CY 2012
• Single family home sales increased by 13.9% between 2011 and 2012
1. Enterprise Zone Program Updates
2. California Economic Incentive Programs
Tax credits, Traning Programs, Special Zoning, Tax Exemptions and Local Incentives. More details on the CA Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development.
News & Events
- Oakland Structures
- 5 Oakland Businesses reach the Top 100 Fastest Urban Growing Businesses in America
- Best of the East Bay 2013
- Streetcars Might Make a Comeback in Oakland
- Oakland Building Green Business insert from the San Francisco Business Times
- Oakland waits for hotels to check in
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- Oakland a Hot Tech Startup Hub
- Oakland ranks No. 11 on list of best cities for tech startups
- Town Crier: Oakland named nation's most exciting city? Yes!
- Port of Oakland names new executive director
- Oakland ‘Brooklyn Basin’ waterfront development to launch with investor funds
- Mosaic gets approval to offer $100 million in solar investments
- Oakland Among Top Cities for Tech Startups
- Henderson snaps up another Oakland landmark
- Spec logistics center in Oakland looks for first tenants
- It’s the food: Eateries feed Oakland rise
- Oakland Leasing Healthy, Becomes “Cool Place”
- Safeway to reinvent Oakland's Broadway store
- Oakland 'Coliseum City' Receives More Funding: $1 Million Approved For Study
- SKS granted extension on big Oakland tower
- The Year of the Boutique
- Businesses, city leaders say in Oakland, economy is rebounding
- Westcore Properties Acquires Tower In Downtown Oakland
- East Bay condo market rebounds, inventory shrinks
- Oakland Structures 2012
- Oakland Structures 2012 map
- Projects in the Pipeline for 2013
- The Oakland '09ers
- Developer plans 28-story tower for Oakland’s Uptown
- Mayor Quan says Oakland 'is on the upswing'
- Restored Ogawa Plaza Anchors Downtown Renaissance
- Oakland Army Base deal signed Tuesday
- The Choose Oakland insert in the October 12, 2012, issue of the San Francisco Business Times highlights what makes Oakland a great business location. Click here to view the insert.
- Tech legend sees SoMa -- in Oakland
- Oakland Named Among America's 50 Best Cities
- Oakland logistics center project creates job gusher
- Portfolio pioneers retail at Oakland Auto Row
- After transforming Oakland's downtown, three temporary spaces secure long-term locations
- Pandora expands Oakland office space in CIM Group tower
- Oakland builds on industrial muscle
- City Council Greenlights Oakland Army Base Project
- Why Startups Hella Love Oakland
- The City of Oakland Leads Nation in Real Estate Recovery
- Top 10 metros with greatest drop in for-sale inventory
- American Cities are Revitalizing Their Downtowns and Recreating Their Profiles
- The Oakland Structures insert in the November 25, 2011 issue of the San Francisco Business Times provides a snapshot of Oakland's vibrant economy and some of the exciting projects underway. Click here to view the insert.
We have compiled a library of relevant business related articles on Oakland - everything from new business openings to real estate deals. Click here to visit the article library.
Oakland Business Assistance Center
The Oakland Business Assistance Center (BAC) is your one-stop location for all your business needs. Knowledgeable staff can guide you through City processes and connect you with our many external business service providers
Incentives & Funding Opportunities
The City offers a variety of incentive programs and funding opportunities to attract and retain businesses.
The popular Enterprise Zone program has saved Oakland businesses hundreds of thousands of dollars in State business income tax as a result of hiring-tax and equipment-tax savings. Launched in October 2009, the Jobs and Tax Base Stimulus Initiative is designed to attract more medium and large employers to Oakland.
Visit the Funding Opportunities page to learn more.
Oakland's Targeted Sectors
Oakland is California’s most strategic location for companies whose success depends on the ability to move goods and ideas quickly and seamlessly over air, water, land or cyberspace. Oakland is a renaissance city with abundant development and investment opportunities. We offer a range of locations, incentives and other resources to help locate, establish and grow your business in our city.
Business Improvement and Community Benefit Districts
The City provides technical assistance to merchants and property owners wishing to form Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) and Community Benefit Districts (CBDs). BIDs/CBDs are public-private partnerships in which property and business owners work collaboratively to maintain, develop and promote their commercial districts.