Our Upcoming Events
What is an LBE/SLBE Certification?
Certification is a process of review according to specific requirements and/or conditions defined by an entity. If a business meets those requirements and/or conditions, the firm is issued a certification number and a certificate and becomes eligible to receive extra credits or preferences and certain benefits during the process of bidding or competing for City contracts.
Are you Eligible?
To receive LBE/SLBE Certification, you must:
- Be an established organization operating within the City of Oakland.
- Be fully operational for at least 12 months prior to applying for certification
- Have a valid City of Oakland Business Tax certificate, issued no less than 12 months prior to applying for certification
- Have a fixed office that reflects a substantial presence in the geographical boundries of the City of Oakland
- Meet established business-size standards for certification as a "Small Local Business Enterprise"
Before you begin, you must be registered with iSupplier. You will want to gather the following materials:
- Scan a copy of your most recent Business Tax Certificate
- Scan copies of your three most recent consecutive business tax returns
Once you have everything prepared, log into iSupplier and upload your documents. Then return here and click on the link City of Oakland/EBIA Common Application below.
Certification/Re-certification Applications and Supplementals for SLBE/LBE
- City of Oakland/EBIA Common Application
- Supplemental B – Affidavit of Certification (ACTC)
- Supplemental C - Affidavit of Certification (City of Oakland)
- Supplemental D - Affidavit of Certification (Port of Oakland)
- Supplemental E – Affidavit of Certification (Oakland Unified School District)
- IRS W-9 Form
- State 590 Form
Why should I get Certified as an LBE/SLBE ?
It benefits all of us!
We encourage organizations with a substantial business presence in Oakland to apply for LBE/SLBE certification. Certified for-profit and not-for-profit businesses may earn bid discounts and preference points. They also benefit our community in important ways:
- Increase the number of Oakland certified businesses participating in City contracts and in development projects
- Increase the circulation of city dollars within the Oakland community to stimulate a stronger economic base
- Help develop Oakland certified businesses through joint ventures and through mentor/protégé relationships
For construction contracts greater than $100,000 and professional services contracts greater than $50,000 you must achieve 50% LBE/SLBE Participation.
This requirement is satisfied by a 25% LBE and 25% SLBE split, or by 50% SLBE participation.
For construction contracts less than $100,000 and professional services contracts less than $50,000, you must outreach to certified local firms, ensuring that a minimum of three local firms are included in the solicitation.
We help you win compliance with:
- A minimum bid discount of 2% for meeting the participation requirement
- Increased points and discounts as the level of local and small local business participation increases
- Mentor-Protégé Relationships between non-local firms and local certified firms we strongly encourage these!