Our Upcoming Events
City Administrator's Office, Contracts and Compliance Division
(New) Oakland City-wide Minimum Wage Law
Starting March 2, 2015, Oakland will have a
Minimum Wage of $12.25 per hour and Paid Sick Leave
Esteemed Oakland business owners,
This past November, Oakland citizens voted in favor of Measure FF, a local ordinance increasing the minimum wage in Oakland to $12.25 per hour. The new minimum wage will begin on March 2, 2015, and then rise with the regional Consumer Price Index beginning on January 1, 2016, and every year thereafter.
Measure FF also legislates the following:
PAID SICK LEAVE: Also beginning on March 2, 2015, Oakland employers must provide paid sick leave to their employees.
- Employees shall accrue one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours they work. Employers may cap accrued paid sick leave earned by an employee at 40 hours for small businesses (fewer than 10 workers) and at 72 hours for other employers. Employers may set a higher cap or no cap at all.
- Employees may use paid sick leave for the employee's own illness or injury, or to care for family members or other designated persons as defined by the ordinance.
SERVICE CHARGES: Hospitality employers (such as hotels, restaurants, and banquet facilities) who collect service charges from customers must pay all service charges to their hospitality workers.
Employers are prohibited from discharging, reducing compensation or .otherwise discriminating against any person who makes a complaint under the ordinance.
Employers must post and give written notification of these rights to each current employee and to each new employee at time of hire. In some cases, notice must be given in languages other than English.
The City of Oakland is committed both to implementing this voter-approved legislation and to supporting local businesses that need assistance adjusting to new wages and policies. The City intends to offer trainings on the new law beginning in January 2015, as well as provide assistance from business advisers. For more information and the full text of the adopted measure in English, Spanish and Chinese, please visit the Alameda County Registrar of Voters. at: http://www.acgov.org/rov/elections/20141104/
If you have questions or need additional help, please call us at 510-238-6258 or email us at email@example.com. Please provide your name, business name, address, phone number and staff will contact you to answer your questions and provide additional information.
- 2/5/2014 REPORT - An Ordinance Amending the Oakland Municipal Code to Establish a City Minimum Wage
- 4/22/2014 REPORT - Supplemental Report on Minimum Wage Ordinance
- 85109 CMS - RESOLUTION, PURSUANT TO AN INITIATIVE PETITION, SUBMITTING TO THE ELECTORS AT THE NOVEMBER 4, 2014 STATEWIDE GENERAL ELECTION, A PROPOSED CITY ORDINANCE "ESTABLISHING A CITY MINIMUM WAGE, SICK LEAVE, AND OTHER EMPLOYEE RIGHTS"; CONSOLIDATING THE ELECTION WITH THE STATEWIDE GENERAL ELECTION; AND DIRECTING THE CITY CLERK TO FIX THE DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF ARGUMENTS AND PROVIDE FOR NOTICE AND PUBLICATION IN IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAW AND AUTHORIZING CERTAIN OTHER ELECTION ACTIVITIES
- BALLOT MEASURE FF - City of Oakland Minimum Wage Ballot Measure
- 85300 CMS - RESOLUTION DECLARING THE RESULTS OF THE CITY OF OAKLAND GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION HELD ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 2014
Doing Business with the City
Interested in becoming a Supplier with the City of Oakland?
All businesses (aka contractors, consultants and vendors are here forth referred to as Suppliers) who wish to do business or apply for certification/recertification with the City of Oakland are required to register with the City of Oakland's Oracle iSupplier Portal.
This is an online interface where suppliers can be notified of upcoming opportunities, view their purchase orders, deliveries, invoices and payment status. Begin by registering for an account.
* iSupplier only supports the Internet Explorer 7/8 and Firefox browsers
Once you have registered with iSupplier, you can begin reviewing our current Contracting Opportunities.
Directory of Oakland's Certified Businesses
To search for certified Very Small Local, Small Local, Local and Locally Produced Goods Businesses click on the link below:
(To narrow your search, click on the advanced search link.)
Certification or Re-Certification
We encourage all organizations with a substantial business presence in the City of Oakland to apply for VSLBE, SLBE, LBE or LPG certification. Certified businesses may earn bid discounts or preference points.
Visit our Certification page to learn more about the programs,
- What is an LBE/SLBE Certification?
- Am I Eligible for an LBE/SLBE Certification?
- Why should I get Certified as an LBE/SLBE ?
- Certification/Re-certification Application Process.
Please email Ernestine Nettles at firstname.lastname@example.org for Certification questions
Contractor's Certified Payroll Login
Important Note: All Construction contracts/projects over the amount of one thousand dollars are subject to prevailing wage and all contractors must submit certified payrolls to the City of Oakland.
Click on this link LCPTracker Login Page to enter certified payroll.
If you do not have a username and password contact LCPTracker at email@example.com.
City Programs and Policies
The City of Oakland has earned national acclaim for its business development policies: cutting-edge approaches that harness local resources to achieve local benefits. By supporting the local community -- especially those businesses that have been disadvantaged -- the City steadfastly stimulates economic development.
LOCAL EMPLOYMENT AND APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMS
Contractors who participate in the City's development projects must comply with Oakland's Local Hire Compliance Ordinance.
The City of Oakland's local employment programs offer Oakland residents an opportunity to participate in the City's economic mainstream and gain experience in the construction trades.
Local Employment Program
Contractors who participate in the City's development projects contract to comply with Oakland's Local Hire Compliance Ordinance and meet Oakland resident hiring goals.
15% Apprenticeship Program
Apprenticeship is an essential pathway to a productive career in the construction trades. It is a job training system that combines the on-the-job training with related classroom instruction. Apprentices are paid employees who "earn while they learn."
Oakland Army Base Gateway Redevelopment Project
- OAB Group 02 Bid Invite Advertisement 7.10.13
- Lease Disposition and Development Agreement and Related Agreements
- Neighborhood Investment - Oakland Army Base Project
- Oakland Global
- Construction Jobs Policy OAB Project Public Improvements
- OAB Jobs Policies Implementation Plan for Compliance and Enforcement
- Oakland Resolution No. 84039 C.M.S. Definition of Resident
- Oakland Resolution No. 13140 C.M.S. Oversight Commission to Monitor Compliance
- Request for Qualification of Subcontractors for the Oakland Army Base Project
- Meet the Primes
- Army Base Workforce Summary Report (is now available)
- West Oakland Job Resource Center Report