Mayor Jean Quan
Oakland in the News
Make a Payment
Jobs & Contracts
Search by employee name, department, email address or telephone number to find contact information for all City employees.
City of Oakland Events Calendar
Sign up here for email updates on News and Events from the City of Oakland.
Warming Centers are Open
Warming centers for Oakland and Emeryville residents provide a safe environment to those in need during inclement weather. Operating on a first-come, first-served basis, the following two warming center locations will operate from 7 pm to 7am on the nights of Thursday, November 20; Friday, November 21 and Saturday, November 22:
- St. Vincent de Paul Society Community Center (Capacity 25 persons)
2272 San Pablo Avenue
- Henry Robinson Multi-Service Center (Capacity 15 persons)
559 16th St.
Clients will receive a cot or mat and a blanket, a warm beverage (tea/coffee) and a cup of soup. Click here to learn about other City Services for the homeless and hungry.
The City Council is Oakland’s legislative body. Its eight members are directly elected by Oakland voters—one representative from each of seven districts and one at-large representative. To find out who your City Councilmember is, use our Council District Locator.
Free Holiday Parking
Free Parking on Saturdays from Thanksgiving to New Year's + Plaid Friday (November 28)
As part of the Shop Oakland Grown for the Holidays campaign, the City of Oakland will offer free parking every Saturday between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day, plus Plaid Friday which is November 28. The free parking applies to on-street meters (both individual meters and multi-space kiosks), four City-owned parking lots and four City-owned parking garages. Posted time limits at meters still apply. Click here to learn more about the free holiday parking.
Mayor's Community Toy Drive
It’s that time of year again when we share the holiday spirit to put smiles on the faces of Oakland’s children in need. The Oaklanders Assistance Center, with help from our friends at the Oakland Fire Department, has organized one of the city’s largest toy distribution sites. Last year alone we were able to provide toys to over 8,000 children from low-income families. That’s over 16,000 dolls, trucks, books, board games, sports equipment, and gift certificates.
For more information and to make a donation, visit the Mayor's Community Toy Drive page.
Earthquake Preparedness Resources
The earthquake that struck the North Bay on Sunday, August 24, serves as a reminder to all of us to prepare for natural disasters. Here are some programs and resources to help you to prepare.
- CORE emergency preparedness classes
- Learn, Lead, Lift, an engagement program to integrate ALL neighborhoods in emergency planning, preparedness and mitigation efforts
- Soft-Story Seismic Screening Program for owners of certain residential buildings
- 9-1-1 Registry for People with Special Needs
- Earthquake Safety Checklist
- Family Preparedness Made Easy
- Create and maintain a preparedness kit for your family
- Keep Informed: Subscribe to Emergency Alerts for Residents or Emergency Alerts for Business
The Oakland Issue of San Francisco Magazine
The June issue of San Francisco magazine – dubbed the Oakland issue – packs insightful copy and compelling photography into 176 pages on our beloved city. Click here to thumb through the issue.
Public safety is our number one priority. The City of Oakland gathered input from neighbors across the city on public safety priorities to incorporate into a comprehensive crime reduction and suppression strategic plan. The town hall meetings were led by the renowned consulting team, Strategic Policy Partnership. As part of the crime reduction plan, the OPD has recently divided the city into five Police Areas which will facilitate crime reduction and prevention strategies tailored for each area.
- Click here for a Public Safety update from October 2014
- Click here to learn more about Ceasefire
- Click here to watch a video update on Public Safety
- Click here to view information on the five new Police Areas
- Click here to view the Presentation by Strategic Policy Partnership
For a comprehensive list of public safety services and resources, visit our Public Safety page.
Oakland Ranked #5 Place to Visit in the World!
Oakland ranked as the 5th most desirable destination to visit this year in The New York Times piece on “The 45 Places to Go in 2012.” Click here to read the article.The original story generated signficant local and national press coverage. Here's a sampling of some of the coverage as well as a list of other accolades bestowed on Oakland. To learn more about visiting Oakland, please visit www.visitoakland.org.
Visit Oakland Public Works website for more information >
Join our Facebook community!
Our Facebook page is dedicated to you - the people who live, work and own businesses in Oakland, California.
Find us on Twitter!
Follow us on Twitter to keep up to date on recent news.
Join your neighbors on Nextdoor
More than 16,000 Oaklanders in 140+ neighborhoods have joined. Click here to watch a video on how to subscribe to Nextdoor.
Arts. Culture. Shopping. Celebrate Oakland’s diversity. Shopping locally keeps your tax dollars from your purchases in Oakland. Take the Oakland Grown Challenge. Visit these sites for the latest eats, cultural attractions and happenings all over town.
- Discover the Uptown ArtPark, the City's first outdoor sculpture park in the Uptown District
- Eat, Shop, Explore Oakland Grown
- Destination Oakland - Official Visitor Website
- Experience Oakland Arts
- Meet Downtown Oakland!
Now is a Great Time to Invest in Oakland
With the economy showing signs of recovery, now is a great time to invest in Oakland. The City offers a wide range of assistance and programs to help your business grow and prosper in Oakland.
- California Competes Tax Credit Applications due Sept. 29 and Oct. 27
- Learn about the City's Economic Stimulus Projects
- 2013 Oakland Structures insert from the San Francisco Business Times
- Choose Oakland insert
- July 2014 Economic Indicators Report
- Oakland backs Business - Resource Guide
- Business Assistance Center
- Business Tax Office
- Business Incentives
- City Owned Properties and Real Estate for Lease and Sale
- Employee Recruitment & Training
- Doing Business with the City
- Business Leaders Talk up Oakland
- Business News
Nationally recognized as one of