Mayor Libby Schaaf
Oakland in the News
Make a Payment
Jobs & Contracts
Search by employee name, department, email address or telephone number to find contact information for all City employees.
City of Oakland Events Calendar
Sign up here for email updates on News and Events from the City of Oakland.
New Minimum Wage Law Takes Effect March 2
The voter-approved initiative Measure FF, takes effect on March 2, 2015. The Measure:
- establishes a $12.25 minimum wage
- requires paid sick leave
- requires payment of service charges to hospitality workers
The City Council is Oakland’s legislative body. Its eight members are directly elected by Oakland voters—one representative from each of seven districts and one at-large representative. To find out who your City Councilmember is, use our Council District Locator.
Equal Access Community Feedback Survey
City of Oakland is conducting a survey to evaluate the quality of our services. In particular, we are interested in hearing your feedback on language access to City services. Would you please take a minute to fill out this online survey?
La Ciudad de Oakland esta llevando a cabo una encuesta para evaluar la calidad de nuestro servicio. ¿Le gustaría ayudarnos completando una encuesta?
The survey is available in:
Results will be presented to City Council as part of the City’s Annual Compliance Plan.
Seismic Retrofit of Soft Story Buildings
More than 22,000 Oakland rental units are in potential soft story buildings. In the event of an earthquake, these units could be damaged which could mean displacement of residents, destruction of possessions and loss of life. In developing proposed soft story retrofit legislation for Oakland apartments, the City of Oakland is seeking feedback from tenants and property owners.
The City of Oakland has created a web page that brings together information and resources to help you with all your parking questions, including contact information for specific departments should you need additional assistance. Topics include:
- New Smart Parking Meters
- Parking Hours & Rates
- Curb Colors and What They Mean
- Pay a Parking Ticket
- Disabled Parking
- Street Sweeping
Earthquake Preparedness Resources
The earthquake that struck the North Bay on Sunday, August 24, serves as a reminder to all of us to prepare for natural disasters. Here are some programs and resources to help you to prepare.
- CORE emergency preparedness classes
- Learn, Lead, Lift, an engagement program to integrate ALL neighborhoods in emergency planning, preparedness and mitigation efforts
- Soft-Story Seismic Screening Program for owners of certain residential buildings
- 9-1-1 Registry for People with Special Needs
- Earthquake Safety Checklist
- Family Preparedness Made Easy
- Create and maintain a preparedness kit for your family
- Keep Informed: Subscribe to Emergency Alerts for Residents or Emergency Alerts for Business
Public safety is our number one priority. The City of Oakland gathered input from neighbors across the city on public safety priorities to incorporate into a comprehensive crime reduction and suppression strategic plan. The town hall meetings were led by the renowned consulting team, Strategic Policy Partnership. As part of the crime reduction plan, the OPD has recently divided the city into five Police Areas which will facilitate crime reduction and prevention strategies tailored for each area.
- Click here for a Public Safety update from October 2014
- Click here to learn more about Ceasefire
- Click here to watch a video update on Public Safety
- Click here to view information on the five new Police Areas
- Click here to view the Presentation by Strategic Policy Partnership
For a comprehensive list of public safety services and resources, visit our Public Safety page.
Oakland Among Top Ten 2015 U.S. Destinations
Oakland was ranked No. 8 on Lonely Planet's roster of Top Ten U.S. Travel Destinations for 2015. The compilation is published to highlight the best travel destinations in the U.S. for the upcoming year. Oakland is buzzing with energy from a thriving restaurant scene, diverse entertainment and arts offerings and a vibrant nightlife. Lonely Planet describes Oakland as an “incubator for adventurous restaurants” and spotlights Oakland’s Art Murmur and First Fridays as a “can’t-miss cultural event”. Click here to view Lonely Planet's roster. This follows Oakland being ranked as the 5th most desirable destination to visit by The New York Times in 2012. To learn more about visiting Oakland, please visit www.visitoakland.org. Click here for a roster of other recent accolades.
Visit Oakland Public Works website for more information >
Join our Facebook community!
Our Facebook page is dedicated to you - the people who live, work and own businesses in Oakland, California.
Find us on Twitter!
Follow us on Twitter to keep up to date on recent news.
Join your neighbors on Nextdoor
More than 16,000 Oaklanders in 140+ neighborhoods have joined. Click here to watch a video on how to subscribe to Nextdoor.
Arts. Culture. Shopping. Celebrate Oakland’s diversity. Shopping locally keeps your tax dollars from your purchases in Oakland. Take the Oakland Grown Challenge. Visit these sites for the latest eats, cultural attractions and happenings all over town.
- Discover the Uptown ArtPark, the City's first outdoor sculpture park in the Uptown District
- Eat, Shop, Explore Oakland Grown
- Destination Oakland - Official Visitor Website
- Experience Oakland Arts
- Meet Downtown Oakland!
Now is a Great Time to Invest in Oakland
With the economy showing signs of recovery, now is a great time to invest in Oakland. The City offers a wide range of assistance and programs to help your business grow and prosper in Oakland.
- California Competes Tax Credit Applications due Sept. 29 and Oct. 27
- Learn about the City's Economic Stimulus Projects
- 2013 Oakland Structures insert from the San Francisco Business Times
- Choose Oakland insert
- July 2014 Economic Indicators Report
- Oakland backs Business - Resource Guide
- Business Assistance Center
- Business Tax Office
- Business Incentives
- City Owned Properties and Real Estate for Lease and Sale
- Employee Recruitment & Training
- Doing Business with the City
- Business Leaders Talk up Oakland
- Business News
Nationally recognized as one of