Mayor Jean Quan
Oakland in the News
Make a Payment
Search by employee name, department, email address or telephone number to find contact information for all City employees.
City of Oakland Events Calendar
Sign up here for email updates on News and Events from the City of Oakland.
FY 2013-15 Proposed Policy Budget
On Wednesday, April 17, Mayor Jean Quan and City Administrator Deanna J. Santana released the City of Oakland’s FY 2013-15 Proposed Policy Budget. Click here to visit our Budget Page and view:
- Proposed Budget
- Fact Sheets
- Supporting Documents
- Upcoming Budget Town Hall Meetings
The City Council is Oakland’s legislative body. Its eight members are directly elected by Oakland voters—one representative from each of seven districts and one at-large representative. To find out who your City Councilmember is, use our Council District Locator.
Love Our Lake Day - June 9
From 11 am to 4 pm, come play in the car-free streets & parks surrounding Lake Merritt – transformed through Measure DD!
- Pedal and paddle the lake at Oaklavia – Oakland Sunday Streets
- Grand opening of Lake Merritt Boulevard at 2 pm
- Enjoy live entertainment by Oakland artists
- Children’s activities
- Oakland food trucks
- Information booths and photographs on the many transformative Measure DD projects
Public safety is our number one priority. The City of Oakland is seeking input from neighbors across the city on public safety priorities to incorporate into a comprehensive crime reduction and suppression strategic plan. A series of town hall meetings will be led by the renowned consulting team, Strategic Policy Partnership, and are structured as a conversation between Neighbors and City Leaders. The next town hall meeting is scheduled for May 9 and is a special meeting for youth.
- Click here to view the flyer for the Youth Forum on May 9.
- Click here to view the flyer with details on the prior meetings in English, Español and.
- Click here to view the Presentation by Strategic Policy Partnership.
- Click here to watch a video of the March 6 town hall meeting.
- Executive Summary - Bratton Group Findings & Recommendations, May 9, 2013
- The Bratton Group Report: District Based Investigations in Oakland
For a comprehensive list of public safety services and resources, visit our Public Safety page.
Equal Access Survey
Oakland Ranked #5 Place to Visit in the World!
Oakland ranked as the 5th most desirable destination to visit this year in The New York Times piece on “The 45 Places to Go in 2012.” Oakland placed between #4 London and #6 Tokyo in the coveted list and was the highest ranked North American city. Click here to read the article.
The original story generated signficant local and national press coverage. Here's a sampling of some of the coverage as well as a list of other accolades bestowed on Oakland.
Visit Oakland Public Works website for more information >
Help us shape, grow, and sustain the healthy future of our city. Suggest Ideas, second ideas you support, and leave feedback.
Join our Facebook community!
Our Facebook page is dedicated to you - the people who live, work and own businesses in Oakland, California.
Find us on Twitter!
Follow us on Twitter to keep up to date on recent news.
Arts. Culture. Shopping. Celebrate Oakland’s diversity. Shopping locally keeps your tax dollars from your purchases in Oakland. Take the Oakland Grown Challenge. Visit these sites for the latest eats, cultural attractions and happenings all over town.
- Discover the Uptown ArtPark, the City's first outdoor sculpture park in the Uptown District
- Community Events in Oakland
- Eat, Shop, Explore Oakland Grown
- Destination Oakland - Official Visitor Website
- Experience Oakland Arts
- Meet Downtown Oakland!
Now is a Great Time to Invest in Oakland
With the economy showing signs of recovery, now is a great time to invest in Oakland. The City offers a wide range of assistance and programs to help your business grow and prosper in Oakland.
- Choose Oakland insert
- October 2012 Economic Indicators Report
- Oakland backs Business - Resource Guide
- Business Assistance Center
- Business Tax Office
- Business Incentives
- City Owned Properties and Real Estate for Lease and Sale
- Employee Recruitment & Training
- Doing Business with the City
- Business Leaders Talk up Oakland
- Business News
Nationally recognized as one of
Learn about the many opportunities through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to build on existing innovations in Oakland, leverage additional resources, and develop Oakland as a model city. The ARRA represents the most ambitious effort to stimulate the economy in our nation's history. Visit the City's Stimulus website.