Mayor Jean Quan
Oakland in the News
Make a Payment
Jobs & Contracts
Search by employee name, department, email address or telephone number to find contact information for all City employees.
City of Oakland Events Calendar
Sign up here for email updates on News and Events from the City of Oakland.
The City of Oakland has created a web page that brings together information and resources to help you with all your parking questions, including contact information for specific departments should you need additional assistance. Topics include:
- New Smart Parking Meters
- Parking Hours & Rates
- Curb Colors and What They Mean
- Pay a Parking Ticket
- Disabled Parking
- Street Sweeping
The City Council is Oakland’s legislative body. Its eight members are directly elected by Oakland voters—one representative from each of seven districts and one at-large representative. To find out who your City Councilmember is, use our Council District Locator.
14th Annual Art + Soul Heats Up
Art + Soul is heating up with a slew of new activities! Our 14th annual festival takes place on August 2 & 3 with two unforgettable days packed with music and dance on four stages plus great eats, an eclectic artisan marketplace, art exhibits and the largest Family Fun Zone of any festival in the Bay Area.
- Blues & BBQ Blowout on Saturday with top California pitmasters – sample and vote for your favorite (small sampling fee applies) and Oakland’s rich Blues heritage showcased by the Bay Area Blues Society with local legends including Tommy Castro and The Painkillers.
- YAK to the Bay Turf & All Styles Dance Battle
- Dazzling performance by vertical dance pioneers BANDALOOP
- Funk & Latin Dance Party on Sunday with old school favorites Lakeside, Rose Royce and Dazz Band plus 2014 Grammy winners, Oakland’s own Pacific Mambo Orchestra
- Dance-A-Vision dance contest – jazz, hop-hop, more!
- Hot Rod & Vintage Car Show
For ticket info and lineup: www.artandsouloakland.com
On June 27, 2013, Oakland City Council adopted the City of Oakland's FY 2013-15 Biennial Budget. On July 1, 2014, City Council adopted FY 2014-15 Midcycle Budget Amendments to the Adopted Budget. Click here to visit our Budget Page and view:
- Midcycle Budget Amendments
- Adopted FY 2013-15 Biennial Budget
- Supporting Documents
Plan Your Block Party For National Night Out
Friday, July 25 is the deadline for organizers to register their block parties for National Night Out on Tuesday, August 5. National Night Out is “America’s Night Out Against Crime” and is a nationwide effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie. Oaklanders hosted 667 parties in 2013. This year, Oakland’s goal is to have over 675 block parties citywide.
The Oakland Issue of San Francisco Magazine
This week, the June issue of San Francisco magazine – dubbed the Oakland issue – has hit newsstands throughout the Bay Area. This special issue packs insightful copy and compelling photography into 176 pages on our beloved city. Click here to thumb through the issue.
Public safety is our number one priority. The City of Oakland gathered input from neighbors across the city on public safety priorities to incorporate into a comprehensive crime reduction and suppression strategic plan. The town hall meetings were led by the renowned consulting team, Strategic Policy Partnership. As part of the crime reduction plan, the OPD has recently divided the city into five Police Areas which will facilitate crime reduction and prevention strategies tailored for each area.
- Click here to learn more about Ceasefire
- Click here to watch a video update on Public Safety
- Click here to view information on the five new Police Areas
- Click here to view the Presentation by Strategic Policy Partnership
For a comprehensive list of public safety services and resources, visit our Public Safety page.
Oakland Ranked #5 Place to Visit in the World!
Oakland ranked as the 5th most desirable destination to visit this year in The New York Times piece on “The 45 Places to Go in 2012.” Click here to read the article.The original story generated signficant local and national press coverage. Here's a sampling of some of the coverage as well as a list of other accolades bestowed on Oakland. To learn more about visiting Oakland, please visit www.visitoakland.org.
Visit Oakland Public Works website for more information >
Help us shape, grow, and sustain the healthy future of our city. Suggest Ideas, second ideas you support, and leave feedback.
Join our Facebook community!
Our Facebook page is dedicated to you - the people who live, work and own businesses in Oakland, California.
Find us on Twitter!
Follow us on Twitter to keep up to date on recent news.
Join your neighbors on Nextdoor
More than 16,000 Oaklanders in 140+ neighborhoods have joined. Click here to watch a video on how to subscribe to Nextdoor.
Arts. Culture. Shopping. Celebrate Oakland’s diversity. Shopping locally keeps your tax dollars from your purchases in Oakland. Take the Oakland Grown Challenge. Visit these sites for the latest eats, cultural attractions and happenings all over town.
- Discover the Uptown ArtPark, the City's first outdoor sculpture park in the Uptown District
- Eat, Shop, Explore Oakland Grown
- Destination Oakland - Official Visitor Website
- Experience Oakland Arts
- Meet Downtown Oakland!
Now is a Great Time to Invest in Oakland
With the economy showing signs of recovery, now is a great time to invest in Oakland. The City offers a wide range of assistance and programs to help your business grow and prosper in Oakland.
- Learn about the City's Economic Stimulus Projects
- 2013 Oakland Structures insert from the San Francisco Business Times
- Choose Oakland insert
- April 2013 Economic Indicators Report
- Oakland backs Business - Resource Guide
- Business Assistance Center
- Business Tax Office
- Business Incentives
- City Owned Properties and Real Estate for Lease and Sale
- Employee Recruitment & Training
- Doing Business with the City
- Business Leaders Talk up Oakland
- Business News
Nationally recognized as one of